Note: This was written a few weeks ago, but we decided to post it closer to Christmas. -GC
I've steadily been catching up with MLP, and last week I took a pause from the Equestria Girls shorts to watch the Season 9 Christmas Special, "The Best Gift Ever". The first time I saw it was a bit dramatic; I could take in most of the episode without problems, but the credits song just was the biggest trigger ever and I ended up crying my heart out. I've left all the details on my post about holidays blues and dependent personality disorder so if you're interested you can read out more there. But on more positive side, I was able to rewatch the episode a few days later without triggers getting in the way, so here's my review of "The Best Gift Ever"!
![]() |
| Unicorns? Dragons? Pah. It's having snow at Christmas- or its equivalent- that really makes this a fantasy world. -GC |
Christmas stories, for the most part, tend to follow certain well-established cliches. I don't think it's necessarily a flaw; rather, I find it part of their charm. We know that the characters are going to discover (or in some cases, rediscover) the importance of love, care and holiday cheer - but how they get there is all part of the fun.
"The Best Gift Ever" is no exception. As the title itself reveals, this Christmas Special for MLP: FiM Season 9 is all about gift hunting, finding the "perfect" present for loved ones, with all the complications entailed in expressing how important they are for us. This used to be my favorite kind of set up for Christmas stories, so I had great expectations even if the premise was kinda predictable. I'm happy to say that the show managed to pack in some surprising twists to what sounded like an ordinary Christmas fable; the story immediately becomes engaging and you're drawn into the endeavors of the Mane Six to find "the best gift ever".
The episode begins with a slice-of-life montage in which all of Equestria is seen preparing for Heart's Warming Eve. It's just one more day before the event and everypony is bustling with excitement while hurriedly looking for last-minute presents, or preparing to spend the holiday with family and friends. The Mane Six, of course, are no exception. So, to take some of the hassle off her friends (especially Twilight Sparkle), Applejack suggests that they instead adopt one of her family traditions - the Hearth's Warming Helper, a Secret Santa-style event where everyone must draw another pony's name and get a present for just that particular pony.
![]() |
| This is roughly what my expression is like this time of year. -GC |
Meanwhile, Spike has his own issues to deal with. Having found out from Applejack that it's possible to swap Hearth's Warming Helpers, he sets out to find out who has the one pony he wants to find a perfect present for - namely (you guessed it) Rarity. He knows perfectly well she's the one who deserves the best gift ever, but when he finally gets her name as Hearth's Warming Helper, he realizes he's suddenly not so sure of what might be special enough for somepony so special. With Spike being Spike, hilarity ensues in pretty much every scene he's in.
There's also a side plot featuring Applejack and Fluttershy's efforts to bring down a Christmas scam that's going to ruin Hearth's Warming for many a pony - if they don't do something about it soon. While Rarity and Pinkie Pie embark on two very different quests for the "best gift ever", Rainbow Dash gets the most unlikely assistance in picking up a present for Fluttershy when Discord makes his entrance. With such an assorted cast of Helpers, will everyone get the "best gift ever" and get it in time for Heart Warming Eve?
As much as the finale song broke my heart, I really loved this show. It was funny, it had lots of heart warming moments (and how could it be otherwise) and I loved how it went on to show little bits and pieces of everyday life (even if I have a minor quip in this regard that I'll address later). The introductory narrative, told in rhyme in the typical tradition of Christmas poems, was a delightful touch. And I loved how each pony came to Twilight Sparkle's final realization by their own different ways. The "gifts" were also not in the slightest bit predictable and I loved where the show decided to go with each pony's gift idea. The only exception was Rainbow Dash who, before Discord chimes in with his "helpful" suggestions, couldn't think of anything more original than a candle. I mean - really? Rainbow herself tells Discord that she's known Fluttershy for a long time, and while nailing down her preferences might have been difficult, I don't see how her first thought was just something so plain and devoid of any personality or meaning. Heck, at this point why not just get an autographed Daring Do novel because it's something special for Rainbow Dash, and she wants to share it with her friend? I understand that the show needed her to be totally at a loss of ideas for Discord to interject (and pretty much steal the spotlight) - I just feel there could have been subtler ways to go about it.
![]() |
| There's also a brief joke about sheep being set on fire. I'm serious. -GC |
Another touch that I loved were the reindeer! I won't go much into spoilers, but all you need to know is that they're magical, they're the ponies equivalent of Santa Claus with just a dash of "the Fates meet Fairy Godmothers" thrown in for good measure, and they're thoroughly adorable. I hope there will be more Christmas specials with these new, lovely addiction to the MLP cast. And just for rhyming sake I'd love to see them interact with Zecora - bet there'd be quite the interesting conversation going on there!
![]() |
| "Totes Adorbs" as my cousin would say. -GC |
![]() |
| Ship sunk. -GC |






No comments:
Post a Comment